Sunday, February 5, 2012

Weekly Recipes 3

This week's recipes are all stolen from much smarter, better cooks. That's okay. What's a little sharing between friends, even though they don't know me. They'd love me if they met me. ANYWAY...here we are.

Georgia's Mexican Pile On is really the most simple, delicious thing you can make in a hurry and have hungry Little People jump for joy.

Ingredients:
2 lb. ground meat (beef, bison, venison, chopped chicken)
taco seasoning (I made my own because some packaged spices have gluten and sugar. Weird.)
Lettuce
Tomato
Guacamole (I use an all natural, no preservative kind like Wholly Guacamole)
Sour Cream (optional)
Shredded Cheese (optional)
Black olives
Jalapenos
Salsa

Directions:
It's called "pile on".What do you think you do? Cook the meat with the spices, and then pile it on! It's like nachos without the chips. It's messy and yummy, and nobody turns up their noses. Winning!



The next one was actually discovered by That Man. He took a night of cooking and searched out something new and different. We both love Thai food and curry, so he researched until he found this fabulous meal on Paleo Diet Lifestyle. The kids even ate it without too much fuss. The only thing that bugged me was the recipe kept calling them 'shrimps' instead of simply 'shrimp'. I can't help it, I'm anal that way.

Ingredients:

    2 lbs shrimps, peeled and deveined;

    2 tbsp butter or coconut oil;

    1 onion, chopped;

    2 tsp curry powder;

    2 tsp tomato paste;

    1/2 cup chicken stock;

    1 cup full-fat coconut milk;

    2 tightly packed cups shredded spinach;

    Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste

Directions:

Heat a large skillet over a medium-low heat and cook the onion in the ghee, butter or coconut oil until it begins to soften, about 3 minutes.

Season to taste with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, stir in the curry powder and continue cooking for a minute.

Place mixture in a blender or a food processor, add the tomato paste as well as the chicken stock and coconut milk. Process or blend until smooth.

Pour the mixture back in the skillet and bring to a simmer.

Add the shrimps and spinach and cook, covered, for about 5 minutes, until the shrimps are just cooked. We served it over some really delicious spaghetti squash with butter and basil. The kids weren't sold on it, but we enjoyed it.


The last recipe I found in desperation. The Super Bowl is a time of picking teams, gathering with friends, and eating tons of carb loaded foods. I signed up to bring a dessert to the party. A dessert! What the hell?!?!?! So I searched for something that might not have the rest of the party goers looking at me like I'd lost my mind. These Almond Joy Bites from The Fit Cookie were perfect! I did label them as sugar and gluten free, but only so I could have some left over to take home with me. The menfolk weren't interested in the health food sitting beside their cheese dip. Be warned, though. These are a dessert and should be treated as such. Much like the sweet potato issue, they can be overdone if you indulge too much too often.

Ingredients:
2 cups shredded unsweetened coconut
1/2 c raw, unfiltered honey
4 tbsp coconut oil
2 tbsp coconut flour
12 oz. dark chocolate chips

Mix the coconut, honey, oil, and flour together in a bowl. You'll probably have to do this with your hands, but coconut oil is FABulous for your skin. Warm the mixture for a few seconds in the microwave if it is a little hard to deal with. When it starts to get stiff, roll it into balls. If you have a hard time, chill it for a few minutes and it will come together easier. Press an almond into the top and put in the freezer for about ten minutes to set. Melt your chocolate in the microwave. I do it in one minute intervals and stir, just to make sure I don't burn it. That's so nasty. Nothing like burnt chocolate! Take the coconut balls out of the freezer and dip them into the melted chocolate to coat. Place on wax paper and return them to the freezer for another ten to fifteen minutes. Done! These taste better than the candy bar of the same name, and won't give you a terrible headache.
Notes-raw, unfiltered honey is thicker than regular, so you may have to add a little more coconut flour to your mix if you use regular honey.
Use at least 60% dark chocolate. I used 72%, and it was SO good.
Again, don't overindulge in these. I had two, and put the rest away. If this type of food is your 'slippery slope', don't even go there. That's why you won't see me making the paleo/primal coconut milk ice cream. That's a disaster waiting to happen.






1 comment:

  1. These all look great! I"ll have to give them a try soon... thanks!

    - Crystal

    ReplyDelete

We're not shy. Go ahead and say it.