Sunday, January 29, 2012

Recipes of the Week 2


This week, I have found some really incredible yummies. Really, it makes me wonder why everyone doesn't eat this way.

First, I found a paleo/primal recipe for fried chicken fingers. My kids ate them and begged for more! So much more tasty than McCrap, and with ingredients that we can pronounce and know where they come from.

Ingredients:

2 large chicken breasts

½ cup of almond flour

2 eggs

1 tsp paprika

1 tsp garlic powder

1 tsp salt

½ tsp pepper

½ tsp dried thyme

3 tbs olive oil

Directions: Slice the chicken into similar sized strips and put into a plastic bag. Add the spices and shake to coat the meat. Beat eggs in a bowl. I added a few drops of Tabasco to them for spice. Dredge seasoned chicken strips in almond flour, egg wash, and back in almond flour. Place on wax paper to set for 10 minutes. This keeps the coating from falling off during frying.Heat the olive oil at medium high heat. Cook the chicken strips for 3 minutes, flip, and cook another 3 minutes. Don't crowd the pan, 3-4 strips at a time would probably fill the pan. Place on a paper towel-lined plate to cool. I mixed up some honey mustard for dipping. Seriously delicious. For alternate flavors, add unsweetened coconut flakes to the almond meal and use some Chinese 5 spice with some salt and pepper for seasoning. Fry in coconut oil instead of olive. Mix up a sweet/spicy chili sauce.







Next, I made some sweet potato latkes that were to die for. I started with an idea from Sarah Fragoso's Everyday Paleo. Then I added some of my own ideas and it came together like magic. Now, there is some debate about the sweet potato and whether it is paleo/primal or not. I think it comes down to personal choice. You have to know yourself and your body. Some people can eat them and not see the results they want to see, it spikes their blood sugars too much and slows weight loss because of the carb count. Some people can enjoy them without issues. I think I have to go easy on them, and save them for an after workout meal maybe once a week. But when I do have them, this is how I want to eat them!

Ingredients:
5 c shredded sweet potatoes
2 eggs, beaten
4-5 slices cooked bacon
2 tbsp minced onion
salt and pepper to taste
coconut oil

Directions:
I shred my potatoes in the food processor. So easy. Toss in a bowl with the beaten eggs, diced up bacon, onion, salt, and pepper. Heat a big spoonful (3-4 tbsp) of coconut oil in a cast iron or nonstick pan over medium heat. When the oil is hot, drop 3-4 big spoonfuls of the potato mixture into the oil. Press them flat with your spoon and cook for 3 minutes on each side. You can top them with a fried egg for breakfast (or dinner, or lunch) or just eat them as a side dish. This was a huge hit at dinner. The five-year-old ate all of hers and then stole one of her sister's. It began a battle. Fun was had by all.







Last, I found a great marinade for beef, lamb, or pork. I used it on a venison backstrap and then again on a flank steak we threw on the grill. When you use this marinade while grilling, the fruit helps to form a fabulous bark on the meat that is just so good.
Ingredients:
1 c blackberries
1/4 c wheat free tamari (this is a gluten free soy sauce)
14 c rice vinegar
1 tbsp sesame oil
3-4 stalks of green onion, chopped
2-4 cloves of garlic, chopped

Directions:
Put all ingredients in a blender and puree. Pour over meat and refrigerate for at least 4 hours.



4 comments:

  1. Sweet potato latkes?! That is genius. Going to have to try those for sure. I make the regular potato latkes for Hanukkah every year with my mom and sisters. Takes a while but they're so tasty!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh, Sarah. You've got to try these, then. And they took no time. I guess if you're making a TON, it might be a little time consuming, but I cranked out 15 of these babies in about 10 minutes or so.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do a chicken strips recipe that's crushed cornflakes, shredded coconut and spices. Dip in eggwash, then in crumb mix and fry. Yum! Much healthier than KFC crispy strips. You can also do it with chicken breast fillets to make crispy chicken burgers.

    I also do a similar potato latke (we call them potato fritters). Shred potato and carrot in food processor, add finely diced onion (and flaked tuna or shredded ham if you wish) and egg. My dad made them all the time when we were kids and they've always been one of my favourite dishes. The added tuna or ham was something hubby and I came up with.

    The marinade sounds yummy :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What takes so long when we make them is that we don't have a food processor. And yeah, we do make a ton. :P Since we only make them once a year we tend to pig out on them. I'll definitely try the sweet potato ones, though!

    ReplyDelete

We're not shy. Go ahead and say it.